Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Relapse?!?!

I started this blog with the intentions that it would contain career and weight loss information. So far, my weight loss has taken a strong hold! And you know what, it is okay. I am in the process of redesigning my website and creating a blog there as well. It will be better to separate everything!

While working out yesterday, my trainer mentioned something interesting that I hadn't given much thought too. She said there were stages to weight loss. Having been in this battle actively for the last 9 months, I understand that. What was interesting was the point she made about after six months, you have a chance to relapse. WHAT?!?!?! I thought relapsing was only something addicts did. I never considered gaining weight a relapse, until I gave it some thought.

My addiction, my comfort, my support, my emotional backer has always been food! When I was sad, I would eat. When I was mad, I would eat. When I was happy, I would eat. I am not alone. When we celebrate a wedding or a baby, we go to showers and EAT! When someone dies, we take them food for comfort. When we celebrate a birthday or anniversary, we have big celebratory meals. Not to mention the millions of dollars we as a nation spend in the snack food industry.

Granted, in order to survive, we have to nurture our bodies. We have to have calories; however, it can go way past our need for nutrition 99% of time. I know it, and so do you. I have spent years saying well it is only this one time and it doesn't matter...The heck it doesn't matter. Those one times have turned into numerous times in a month, in a week, in a day. And those numerous times in a day have turned into the forty pounds that I still want to loose.

So, back to my original thought, why would someone gaining weight be considered a relapse after weight loss? The answer is clear, at least to me. Food is an addiction. It is a crutch. And it is ever so easy to fall back into harmful, negative food addiction and gain weight. It is probably one of the hardest addictions to overcome. Think about it...An Alcoholic can avoid alcohol. A Drug addict can steer clear of drugs. But a food addict still has to have food in order to survive.

Now don't get me wrong....The other two have much more serious consequences and are illegal and more harmful to your body in the short and long term. But food has its consequences too. They are seen in the way of diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, and death.

While I haven't personally lived through a relapse yet, I can see how it could so easily happen. And it is my hope that through this blog, I can have enough accountability, drive, and determination to make the life long change of exercise and good, healthy nutrition to overcome this powerful addiction!

One more thing...Some have emailed that they can't post a comment to my blog subjects. The problem has now been fixed (or I hope it has) and I encourage you to try again!

No comments:

Post a Comment